Sunday, April 25, 2010

The Melody of Heavens

"Whatsoever is in the heavens and the earth glorifies Allah, and He is the Almighty, All-Wise."- ( Quran AL-Hadid 57:1)

In my personal opinion, there are two types of heavenly music.

The hymn of forests and of trees, and oceans wide. The chirping of birds when the dawn pierces the night. The whistling of wind. The blazing of thunder. The serene melody of movements, where the sheep gathered together to have their daily food,or the roaring of lions. These voices, melodies are the harmonious orchestra of creation. Of life. Such splendour !

Hence, the truth of the Quranic verse I mentioned here above.  

Regardless, to me, we can never underestimate the other type of heavenly music. The melodies produced by us, human. Yes, us. Surely I have to say that we are also creatures of God. But I believe that we hold some more intimate connections to this Al-Hamid. I see much glorious feelings of pleasure, heavenly, even when a human recites a verse in remembrance of God. When a human sings a song that make us believe in ourselves and in remembrance of our sins and our need to cherish humanity. When a human sings of love in its purest form. When an orchestra group performs, such magnificence! When a choir group assemble to recite the verses of Gospel, such devotion! When a group of believers gather and pray together, eyes red, trembling helplessly upon God, such vibrations produced by their prayers- heavenly.


I am a Muslim who believes that only Allah , and the deen brought by the Prophet Muhammad can give me salvation. It is also the case to other religions as well, majority of them, I mean. However, all these believers, regardless of their religions, their racial dispositions, their cultural heritage, may produce heavenly music that touch the spiritual hearts of men. Truly.

For I see salvation in the hands of God , but all these people- Muslims, Christians, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists- who am I to decide whether what they utter, what they sing and pray to their respective Gods aren't born out of true love towards their Gods. These aren't people who buried their daughters out of shame, nor sacrificing human for one's temple of idols. These are religious people who believes in humanity. And yes, their music, these hymns of theirs- in the end in true nature, they aren't heavenly- they're earthly. Humanity in its essence.

I am a person who believes that salvation can be obtained through how one's religion dictate it so, and mine's Islam. I strictly adhere to it as my true faith. However, let it be known that I believe that spiritual fulfilment is up to everybody- even atheists may attain spiritual fulfilment in this world- for I know that my God is Ar-Rahman, at the very least.

No comments: