Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Baitul Muslim

To me, baitul muslim is beyond a marriage between a man and a woman. An important feature, yes, but not necessarily the only one.

From my own personal understanding, it is beyond two muslim individuals who are in progress towards the way of Allah; establishing a sacred covenant between them and the God, having families that strive to fulfill the path to the Heavenly Kingdom that is nigh. It is also more than a mere declaration of "thy kingdom come, thy will be done" from this religious contract made between this man and this woman.

We have to understand that a marriage is not a simple act of establishing connections between a man and a woman- in the words of our prophet, it is joining two big families- the bride's family and the groom's family.

As a man myself, I understand the need for marriage. After all, we were only young once. And we have urges. I also realise the almost natural inclinations of a human to desire for offsprings- the ones that will take your name, lead their life, have families themselves. I also realise the desire for a human to have a companion that he/she can share all his/her thoughts on, who can share all his/her fears, hopes,passion- something that only a loving wife or husband could provide. Friends come and go, but a loving, honest husband or wife, though a rarity these days, once we get a hold on them, your life could be so much fuller.

As an eldest brother, I always have this panicky dreams about my siblings. It is as if they are preparing myself for worst case scenarios.Sometimes I have a nightmare about how my sisters have married terrible, cheating guys and have a messy divorce. Having no shelter and no jobs, they have to resort to me, since I'm the eldest brother, especially if my parents are long gone- which will definitely happen to us humankind. Then I dreamt on how intolerant my wife is ( dreams are such a tease- why can't they make me remember my wife's FACE?) towards me helping my siblings.

Sometimes I wonder how much paranoid I can be indeed.

But the moral of the dreams I would say is that how important it is for my future wife to accept the fact that my family might be so dysfunctional to her eyes or her families'- yet she can embrace them altogether indiscriminately .

Sometimes love is not enough. Given enough frustration, walla, divorce. I've known quite a few people who love deeply for each other yet could no longer live with each other due to some external and internal reasons. 

I think a true baitul muslim fulfils those criteria. It is not some romantic notion of family and marriage. Love is not everything. Trust, responsibility, family bonding, religious importance, spiritual preparation and fulfilment- all contribute to this wonderful world of Islamic marriage- something that in history our Prophet had shown remarkably well , especially with his wife, Khadijah and the later wives.

So, to those who read this, no worries, I am not going to encourage you guys to get married, sometimes we can begin it with many hypothetical questions " I have a brother who is going to get married, what should I do?", " I have a friend who have desires to get married, what should I do?" , " I want to get married, what should I do?".

Then think this , " do you want to marry your own self, the one with your current state of discipline, routine, faith? What should you do?"

Salam.

p/s: On the other hand, I urge my Auckland friends to get married and have their walimah in Auckland. I can therefore have my free nasi minyak for lunch on that particular day. * wink wink*

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

p/s itu silalah berkempen dengan lebih rigorous lagi hoho

Anonymous said...

hoho... BM.
It has reached to this point where marriage is one of the favourite topics.

Aku kena akad dan walimah di Msia. Ada jugak orang kmpung ngamuk nnti. Not that I have anyone yet...