Saturday, June 12, 2010

Love

I love uni life. In my own ways.

I love the abundance of information available in university. I used to have those comments by peers about our college library when I was the Academic Bureau Executive in KMS. Many times they complained about the lack of books in the library, which I admit, understandable. I went to the director myself begging for more allocation funds to restore books in the library- to a sad "economy factor" response.

Oh well. Lack of reading materials is a good reason why our library was never been utilized to its optimum , and a reason why students don't like reading. Which in my personal opinion is actually somehow a stupid excuse . To use the reason of "ill-equipped library' to justify one's lack of reading is unacceptable.Nevertheless, in college,that library is just another prep room to study. They can just throw away all the books and the students will still flock that place because they want to study in an air-conditioned room.

Which is not the case in uni.

Be it Malaysia or elsewhere, like me in New Zealand, you can see that a university library is usually well-stuffed with books and materials. It's either you want to use it or not. It's up to you on how you want to treat this wealth of knowledge readily accessible to the students.

The best reason I love uni life is the autonomous/ independent learning the study operates. I love this kind of system. No more justification of our own failures except our own fault. You can skip lectures all you want. You are the one who decide whether you want to study or leisure around.There are no more sad excuses of a "lousy teacher" whom you didn't understand a thing when he/she teaches, no more " I don't have enough time to study" , " my friends didn't help me" etc. Your friends are not expected to help you anyway. It's all about being charitable , and it is not a duty of a friend to help you around.

Which I believe is perfect.

Independent learning may involve discussion groups or individual study- we can easily subscribe to what we see as working for us. This is no longer high school where we feel pathetic and sad when we have no group partners and the teacher just smiled and perhaps think " oh inilah budak loser kelas ni. haha.".

No comments: