Saturday, November 20, 2010

Ballad of Reading Gaol.

A few stanzas from one of Oscar Wilde's finest poems : The Ballad of Reading Gaol. I started re-reading Oscar Wilde again these days. Best read in times of depression because it makes you less depressed since there are other people more depressed than you are, apparently.


Dear Christ! the very prison walls
  Suddenly seemed to reel,
And the sky above my head became
  Like a casque of scorching steel;
And, though I was a soul in pain,
  My pain I could not feel.

I only knew what hunted thought
  Quickened his step, and why
He looked upon the garish day
  With such a wistful eye;
The man had killed the thing he loved
  And so he had to die.

Yet each man kills the thing he loves
  By each let this be heard,
Some do it with a bitter look,
  Some with a flattering word,
The coward does it with a kiss,
  The brave man with a sword!

Some kill their love when they are young,
  And some when they are old;
Some strangle with the hands of Lust,
  Some with the hands of Gold:
The kindest use a knife, because
  The dead so soon grow cold.

No comments: