Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Politics of Font- Facebook, You One Hell Of A Politician.


Strangely enough, this new smaller font for Facebook page to me is a marketing disaster. But nevermind, ageism and eyesore agenda aside, I personally think that it might be a blessing in disguise. Some people like this new tweak, I don't.

1) Smaller pictures at News feed. 

I am those guys who never bother to check other people's profiles. It's too much a job so I tend to simply rely on the news feed to 'stalk' other people's lives.

But to me, the pictures, are too small- I am not that curious people who always feel the need to investigate things that aren't clear to me. Some pictures of a group photo uploaded into Facebook are plain too small now. A friend of mine is tagged there. Nah, it's too small. I'm too lazy to click them. Yadda yadda you live a great life , have so many friends, okay. In fact, now that the profile pictures in news feed are too small- I expect that Facebook now is silently encouraging its users to make a passport-sized photo of theirs as their profile picture- a picture of a mountain and you- can't even see what kind of shade are you wearing.

Wow. Indoctrination.

2) Smaller font- less influence. 

You see , size matters. A larger font is symbolic of importance. Yesterday, I read the comments and statements on Facebook news feed- it was so small I somehow think that what they said are so not important. They were like just some small scribbles on a wall. I better read a book. Or read the BBC news online.  Good for me then. Now I don't have to feel intellectually stimulated by people's opinion on Facebook and respond and google them all. Like yesterday Ustaz Abdullah Zaik posted a few comments about harakat islamiah and I feel nah , " too long, too small, what is he talking about?". Haha now I understand why people couldn't bear to read my long-winded and terribly handwritten essay.

3) Smaller font - less time stalking. 

We all had that time when we bought a book with too small a font , and we hate that eyesore feeling? Either we finish it as quick as possible because we are really eager to know the ending or we stop reading it after all.

4)  Better understanding of my internet browser. 

Now I know what is the use of zoom, what is the usefulness of ctrl and +, ctrl and -, ctrl and mousewheel. Now I also know the usefulness of a larger facebook font, but at the same time too big a wikipedia article- meaning that I can't open them both at a same time. Too much a good thing in a single time, perhaps.

No comments: