Sunday, April 12, 2009

With Respect to the Honourable Rumi


Rumi has faced such spiritual experiences, that we mere believers can never compare to him. He once famously said:

I tried to find Him on the Christian cross; He was not there. I went to the temple of the Hindus and the old pagodas, But I could not find a trace of Him anywhere. I scratched on the mountains and in the valleys But neither in the heights nor in the depths was I able to find Him. I went to the Kaabah in Makkah, But He was not there either. I questioned the scholars and philosophers But He were beyond their understanding I then looked into my heart and it was there where He dwelt that I saw Him; He was nowhere else to be found.

There are times where I feel doubt about such matters in life, such complexity, such absurdities, discrimination, depression, obnoxiousness, that make me cease to believe in Him. But then again, I will quickly remember.

He is not Islam, He is Him.
He is the Lord, and Islam is just the institution.
Muhammad is the Messenger, not the scholars.

He knows everything, and the scholars can just speculate.
Umara' and ulama' may control my social life, but I will handle my personal faith.

No comments: