Sunday, December 21, 2008

The Day The Earth Stood Still


This movie received many critics, which in Rotten Tomatoes only 21% gave positive review about this movie.

However, I truly like this movie. Really. This movie simply corresponds to my certain thoughts of life. This movie questions our nature of human and its complexity. This move reflects our society, and most important, our devastating life.

This movie, although is about alien, but the important issue here is how we treat the Earth.

Certain things about this movie by me:

1) I really like the tense atmosphere created by the alien presence. Deep inside, I know, that is exactly what I WILL feel if I face such situation. Such panic, such unpleasant feeling, such GUILT ( the President Secretary do it well), such hope , and such VULNERABILITY and HELPLESSNESS.

2) I don't really like Keanu Reeves. He has this stone face. However, he is good then for an alien. It's convincing that way. I found alien with funny attitude or comedic manners stupid. Stupid being won't create such devastating and powerful civilization far more advanced than Earth, and a funny-looking and acting alien won't come to Earth to justify whether human should be wiped out or not. So, Keanu Reeves will do.

3) I love on how United States being mocked by Klatoo. Their egoism, pretending to be the representative of the world, which they aren't is totally crushed by Klatoo's power. Their gigantous military capability stand nothing against the alien. That will make they realize that they aren't the best , anyway.

4) The last thing, this movie explores the nature of us human holistically. It reveals our dark and bright side of our nature. I like it. I do. Very,very inspiring.

We humans always speak about discovering yourself, find inner peace, filling the emptiness. Religion always say things about great society, peaceful society, filial peiety, and though the nature is talked about, like on how we need to protect our forests, water whatsoever, it is like overshadowed by this spiritual searching things.

Look at the environmentalists organizations for example. Many of them are sadly seculars. They found 'peace' more by being closer with nature than to live like us with religions-the conflicting religions. The religions that bring more blooshed than bloom, that bring more war than peace, religions that speak on the behalf of Earth minimally and speak of human more- truly selfish. Those who watch the movie carefully will realize than aside than the US, religions are also mocked there.

This movie will give the environmentalists further courage to fight for their cause. The environmentalists who speak of no religion , of no societies, but rather they speak for the Earth. They got my salute, the same salutation I give to Mother Theresa and Al-Ma'mun al-Mu'tazilite, the same sympathy I had for my brothers and sisters in Palestine. I respect them because for us Muslims that 'memakmurkan alam' merupakan paling tinggi dalam hierarki usrah, yang bermula dengan individu muslim to baitul muslim to Khilafah to tamadun- they do it already, this 'memakmurkan alam' -though with the different definition. At least they are trying to preserve the Earth from ecosystem destruction. Huh. Apalah gunanya sebuah khilafah sekiranya dunia telah rosak, ekosistem telah hancur, gunung telah rata, dan hanya manusia yang tinggal di bumi ini......

Just my opinion. Not that you may not agree. Peace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

uuu.. u made me wanna watch the movie..
urm.. yea i did wanna watch it before, but not that interested.
lost interest in movies long ago..
but now u sparked that interest.
ngeh..

"Many of them are sadly seculars. They found 'peace' more by being closer with nature than to live like us with religions-the conflicting religions."

I guess I can say I'm one of them, but i don't think it's really secular. well, depends on them really..
cuz being closer with nature brings me nearer to Him, n i believe that's how they felt too, or maybe without them realizing it.
And to me, it's quite like an escape from all those conflicts - like u said, conflicting religions.